Saturday, March 20, 2010

Masala stuffed egg.

Really I was confused before posting this title, because I could not figure out the exact Tamil name for this recipe. As my culinary guru is my mom, I call the recipes by her nomenclature only. She used to present this item as 'keerina muttai masala', which means an egg slit gently and stuffed with some spicy masal:) . Also this is exactly how my Tuticorin aachi (my grandma) taught us this egg curry. I like the way my aachi calls this as keeri muttai :)
  I am not sure if many household out here practice the same name. Anyways this blog is to remember her , so I call it by the same, the 'keerina muttai'. Those were days when we used to make large number of boiled eggs for family parties. We have to be careful while preparing the hard-boiled egg as the whole dish relies on the appearance of the egg. Even though it is not a rocket science, I believe it need some skills. So I have shared my version to make perfect boiled eggs below. Feel free to share your tricks too.
This egg masal will be a perfect match with tomato rice (thakkali saatham), biryani etc. Try out and tell me how you devoured it:)



Ingredients:
Boiled egg - 2
red onion (finely chopped)- 2 tbsp per egg
Fennel - 1/4 tsp
oil - 1 tbsp
red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
turmeric powder - a pinch
Garam masal powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)

How to boil the egg perfectly:
Take out the egg from fridge and keep outside for atleast 15 minutes.
Wash and clean the egg. Place it in a vessel, very gently, slowly and carefully. Because this is where we end up in broken egg.
Next fill the vessel with water, so that an inch of water remains above the egg.
Start heating the vessel in a slow fire till the water turns almost hot. The reason for slow cooking is to avoid cracking. Then increase the heat till we get bubbles.
Immediately reduce flame and cook in low flame for 10 minutes (12 minutes for very large eggs).(Never cook it in boiling water entirely, otherwise we may end up with rubbery eggs). Put off fire.
Then remove the hot water. Cool the eggs by pouring cold water and peel off the shell.
Hard boiled egg is ready!

Note:
Very fresh eggs are difficult to peel. But the ones near expiration are great.

Method:
Heat oil in a wok.
Add fennel and let it get red. Then add the onion and saute it till it gets soft.Then add salt, chilly powder, garam masal , turmeric powder and stir well. Immediately switch off. Take out the masala.

Slit the egg in once or twice without splitting it. Fill the masal inside and slowly roll the eggs in the wok to coat the remaining masala in the wok over the eggs.

Masala stuffed egg is ready!

Serving suggestion:
Serve as side dish with tomato rice, any biryani etc.

28 comments:

Jaleela Kamal said...

stuffed boiled egg fry

Priya Suresh said...

Stuffed eggs looks tremendous, prefect side dish as well as an appetizier...delicious dihs!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

A very innovative egg based preparation. Loved the stuffing that was made. Too Good...

Deepa

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy delicious egg...thank for sharing

Sushma Mallya said...

Thats an easy one yet a very delicious one...

sangeeta said...

interesting recipe .... an indian version of devilled eggs !!
peeling of the shells is the toughest part for me....it's never easy for me..

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Viki
Thats a great egg boiling indeed..whenever I try to boil egg , most of them crack and I get a egg soup...ha ha
Your method is perfect..the heating must be slow and temp should be around 80-90 deg C. There is a air gap inside the egg, which expands fast and cracks the shell.
Once the white part along the shell solidifies , the liquid wont woose out even if the shell cracks.
Best is to use a egg boiler, where the steam comes from the bottom and you pierce a little hole on the top for air to escape.
Fresh eggs are nuisence, luckily we dont get any unless you have a poultry at your back yard.
Nice masala, even if I break the egg while stuffing , I will eat it.
Have a nice sunday

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Very nice looking masala muttai. Should go well with Biryani or fried rice.

chakhlere said...

lovely dish viki!! I just want eat it right away!!!

Gita Jaishankar said...

My mom also makes egg masala like this da, she even adds tomatoes to the masla....looks yum, all I need is some tomato rice now :)

Prema said...

Stuffed egg luks perfect and yummy too...

Aparna S Mallya said...

yummmmmy!!

Ash said...

Oh! I feel like thrusting that whole thing into my mouth...How delicious it looks...U have got me all eggcited...... YUMMY!!!!!

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Hayley said...

Your masala stuffed eggs looks lovely and nice!!

San!!! said...

Eggs appear to be spicy n yum,they make a good combo with biryani or fried rice.I usually follow the same method of preparation but never tried to make it as a stuffing.They look incredible .

FoodLovers said...

can i have masala egg viki ..loved ur stuffing

Priyameena said...

It looks like two sea shells trying to open its mouth..Wonderful recepie..Thanks for sharing

Tina said...

Simple and delicious recipe...

Malar Gandhi said...

Keerina muttai' name sounds kool, wish you used the same for title. I am exactly like you, just want to retain the originality as much as possible:) Love Mom's version of muttai masala, looks appetizing:)

Soma Pradhan said...

this is really interesting..Never saw before...Really love to have a bite of it

gtyuk said...

muttai massaala looks delectable Vicky!!!

appadiyey muzhussu muzhuss-aa vaayila pottukalaam pol irukku!!!

whenever we used to go for excusrsion, we used to bring lemon rice & mutta masala & oorka!! that is still my best combination!!! I love boiled eggs only if there is masala :) unga massaaala super-aa irukku, yenga veetla seyirameri irukku!!!
I have one technique to shell the eggs without breaking them ...you might already know... we have to give them a thermic shock... have to boil them on full heat & then, pour very cold water on them as soon as we switch off...and shelling becomes easy...

shouldn't leave on stove to come to room temperature....

Sarah Naveen said...

Awesome!!! i love egg.so this is a must try dish for me..yummy!!!

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow stuffed spicy egggs looks yummy...vry nice side dish viki

Unknown said...

Amma used to call this keeru muttai! Looks perfect.1

Aparna said...

stuffed eggs delicious..i can make on weekends as breakfast :)

Devasena Hariharan said...

different one Viki from the normal frying method

Sashi said...

mouth watering stuffed egg !! Am hungry now !!

Sapthanaa Vytheswaran said...

Thanks for reminding me of this recipe akka.. My granny usually prpeares this and Its been ages since I had it. I called granny and the recipe is just the same like yours more or less and tasted just perfect.

Have a look into my site:

http://abikitchen.blogspot.com/2010/06/stuffed-egg-masala.html

Chow chow Paruppu koottu and peel thogayal

Chow chow / Bangalore Kathirikai / Chayote  A dal curry paruppu koottu with chow chow and a spicy chutney using it's peel (chow chow tho...