Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Tomato rice in Briyani Flavor

Tomato rice in home style was the first tomato rice we all used to take to school (in my childhood). Then afterwards it was jazzed up by our mothers , sisters and aunts, and became 'Thakkali briyani '. This is the first dish my hubby tasted and he learned that I made it myself (as I was helping my mom to pack lunchbox ). I made this for our Valentine's Day lunch this year to recreate our special day and I think happy foods like this make love grow stronger each day and keeps loving couples together always. Hubby gifted me a designer handbag and some 'props' for my youtube channel. 






Gifts we exchanged for Valentine's Day

Ingredients:
Basmathi rice or any raw rice - 2 cups (400 gm)
Tomato - 5 (1/2 kg)
Red onion - 1 (medium size)
Ginger - 2 inch
Garlic - 1 
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Green chili - 6  
Garam masala / Briyani masala  - 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Cilantro- 10 stems
Mint leaf -1 handful.
salt - 2 tsp (check and add)
Peanut oil - 3 tbsp

To temper:
Fennel - 1 tsp
Bay leaves - 1
star aniseed - 1,
Cinnamom stick - 2 inch
cardamom - 4
cloves - 4

Rice preparation:
Wash the rice and soak it for 10 mins. Add 1/2 tsp salt.  Cook the rice to firm stage (100% cooked , but not mushy). Strain and remove the excess water using a colander. Keep open and let it cool.

Preparation:
wash and clean the tomatoes. Puree them. Keep aside.

Method:
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a broad flat bottom vessel.
Add fennel ,star aniseed , cinnamon stick,cardamom ,cloves, bay leaf , cashew and saute for a few seconds.

Put the chopped onion . Fry it till golden brown and add the ginger garlic paste and stir well till the raw smell goes. Then add the chopped chillies, chopped cilantro + mint and stir well.

Now add the tomato paste along with red chilly powder and biryani masala powders.

Add salt to taste. Cook till oil oozes out.

Mix with the cooked rice without breaking the grains.

Tomato biryani is ready!

Serving suggestions:
Garnish with 2 tbsp ghee , chopped cilantro , mint leaves.
Serve with onion raitha, potato chips etc.
Serves 3 adults.






No comments:

Vegetable Noodles

Simple noodles goes to next level when it is spiced up with vegetables and sauces. This is a comfort food for me and my husband as we love n...