Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pepper Chicken

Just like all the girls who change their cooking style after marriage, I too did many things. No..no don't imagine me as a vegan who married a meat-o-holic, its 'topsy turvy' gals:)
I should say my culinary journey started even before marriage as my brothers are true lovers of NVs:) But after marriage I reduced cooking the non veg items because of hubby's lesser appetite for NV, though all of my inlaws excel each other in having them .
Before hand I used to make different varieties of chicken for my younger brother Venkatesh. Being a great chicken-holic person, he inspires me to learn more and more dishes.Almost every day he would love to have a different dish , preferably a NV in his tiffin box:) So I started trying many varieties and here is a pepper chicken .
Dedicating this recipe to all my brothers (two from my mom's and 3 from my Inlaws side)who love chicken in anything.





Ingredients:

Chicken (with or without bones)- 1/4 kg
(I made it with bones)
Red onion - 1
Tomato - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaf - 1 brig
Sesame oil - 3 tbsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
sesame oil - 4 tbsp
To powder :
Black pepper - 3 tbsp
cumin - 1 tsp
cinnamon - 1 inch
cloves - 2
fennel seed - 1/2 tsp

Method:

Wash and clean the chicken. Apply some turmeric all over and rinse again .
Cut it into medium size pieces and keep aside.
Chop the onion and tomato separately.
Grind 1 inch ginger and 3 garlic pods to a fine paste.

Heat the oil in a wok , add the fennel seeds and let it become red.
Then add the curry leaves, chopped onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
Now put the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
Add the chopped tomato and fry till it becomes mushy.

Now add the chicken pieces and fry for a while till it becomes a white.
Then add the salt, Turmeric powder, powdered masala and cook covered with a handful of water.
Stir frequently to avoid charing.
Cook for nearly 30 minutes in very low flame.
Then put off fire after the oil starts showing and the meat is done.
Pepper chicken is ready.

Serving suggestion:

Take the chicken fry out leaving behind the oil and place on a serving bowl.
Sprinkle a tablespoon of black pepper all over the chicken .
Fry some curry leaves in the left out oil in the pan and garnish the chicken with it for a homely touch.
Serve as side dish with sambar rice or rasam rice or even with curd rice.
The chicken pieces will loose moisture and shrink a lot. So it will be enough for just 2 people.

30 comments:

Nandinis food said...

Pepper chicken is spicy and delicious. It is nice of you to cook for your brother. This dish is good for cold . You tempted me to cook chicken today.

FH said...

Yummilicious! Spicy and delicious!:)

Yasmeen said...

Spicy Chicken!My family is also mix of vegans and meta-o-holics.Bro & mom ,hate meat(both turned vegetarian),me & sis can't satisfy ourselves without it,in moderation though.

Priyameena said...

viki..My brother too loves chicken..Chicken looks like the one I had it in MH restaurant tirunelveli..Yummy!!

Gita Jaishankar said...

That looks so yummy Viki, I am drooling :) I am also a big carnivore but I had to reduce my NV intake since my hubby is vegetarian :(

ARUNA said...

hi viki, it looks so spicy and delicious!!!!!

Ashwini said...

Yummy. I am a vegeteian and my hubby and daughter are meat lovers:-). They love pepper chicken. Spicy and delish.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

mmm, what should I say now??? Its virtual thats whats keeping me else it would all be over by now...

Pooja said...

Looks delicious. I love pepper chicken and seeing yours makes me drool! Yummy :)

Vrinda said...

Pepper chicken looks spicy and yummy..Like u said, my hubby is also a meat-o-holic..

Manju said...

looks nice and spicy!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow spicy chicken tempting me lot..just drooling here!

Lavanya Siva said...

hmmmmmmmmmm. pepper chicken........this is my all time fav....looks spicy n deli

Anu said...

Viki, being a Veggie i cannot comment on the recipe :D, am sure it must have been gud! But i loved ur words "4 brothers"...So nice of u :)

Cham said...

Wow, looks very tempting the spicy chicken.

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

That looks nice and spicy.I love chicken and I'm the odd one out in my family becos everyone else loves mutton

Priya Sriram said...

Viki, pepper chicken super-a irukku!! Vayila ooruthu... looks very spicy and inviting! :)

Varsha Vipins said...

YUmmmyyy..I like anything with a pepper touch.:)..Just made a pepper fish today..:)

Finla said...

Just looking to the peper chicken i am drooling, i would love to havve that whole plate.
Yeah after getting married i too started making things even if i don't eat them :-)

gtyuk said...

that looks hot, well spiced and delicious, like poricha kari type :) yumm!

lissie said...

wow, hot pepper chicken...soo delicious, Vicky!

Subhie Arun said...

wow..hot delicious n spicy chicken...my better half aso love chicken..will try tis soon

Chutneytales said...

Yummm..Spicy chicken!!you made me drool..

Deepa Hari said...

Looks spicy and delicious Viki...my husband is a great fan of chicken....he loves diff. varieties...You are tempting me now.

Poornima Nair said...

Its the opposite at our home...I was the non veg lover and have successfully converted my hubby who was ready to go vegetarian:)...
The pepper is mouth watering.

Malar Gandhi said...

I love chicken in any form, this pepper chk, must have tasted great!!

Unknown said...

Am just drooling seeing the picture! Delish!!

Sujatha said...

looks so spicy and perfectly peppery! :) drooling here..

Bookmarked!

Premyscakes said...

Hi Viki Thank you soo.. much for your lovely comments on my cake. I was quite busy for last week. I missed few posting of yours.
my god, pepper chicken is heavenly, one of my fav. very catchy picture. will give a try tomorrow.

Suparna said...

Hi Viki,
looks like u've got many taste buds craving for this one ;) woooooo...gorgeously spiced up dish! pics leaves u wanting for more...
TC

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...