Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bachelor's chicken thokku

A very easy Indian chicken recipe that could be helpful for a beginner.Thokku means a thick gravy

I crafted this simple chicken thokku recipe for my friends and brothers who longed to have home cooked food. Before blogging, I used to email this recipe to whoever asks me for a simple chicken recipe. All those who used this recipe were almost bachelors at that time, so I christened the recipe as Bachelor's chicken thokku.
Surprisingly one day hubby asked me to take rest and he told me that he wants to cook some chicken for me.
I started freaking out and was terribly upset to hear that, because I have never seen him inside the kitchen and I didn't want to end up hungry on a weekend.
Some how he managed to get my approval and I wrote the procedure on a piece of paper, gave him a brief tour on masalas and went out with a faint heart.
You know what friends? After some time I started sensing his success through my nose and rushed into the kitchen. I could not believe my eyes. While I was just sitting and waiting to find some fault:) the chicken thokku appeared in the wok with great taste and I enjoyed my real holiday devouring the chicken. From the moment I became very confident that anyone can make a decent home cooked chicken curry with this recipe.



I took a snap of what he cooked and publishing it on behalf of hubby for the event ' The potluck - chicken ' hosted by me.

Ingredients:
Chicken - 500 gms
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Black pepper - 1 tsp
coriander powder - 3 tsp
cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
(Garam masala powder should have cinnamon, cloves, cardamom as main ingredient)
Salt - to taste
Red onion - 2 (100 gms)
green chilli - 2
Cilantro , mint leaf - a handful (to garnish)
Tomato - 4
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
(grind 2 inch ginger and 3 pearls of garlic together to get the ginger garlic paste)
Oil - 5 tbsp
Fennel seed - 1 tsp
curd (plain yogurt) - 1/2 cup

Preparation:

1.Wash and clean the chicken. Remove skin and fat. Apply some turmeric all over and rinse again .
Cut it into medium size pieces and keep aside.

2.Chop the onion and tomato separately.

3.Grind 2 inch ginger, 3 garlic pods , green chilly , black pepper together to a fine paste.
or simply use the black pepper powder, chopped chilly and store bought ginger garlic paste.

Method:
1. Heat the oil in a wok , add the fennel seeds and let it become red.
Then add the chopped onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
Now put the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
Add the chopped tomato and fry till it becomes mushy.

2.Now add the chicken pieces , curd , all the powders mentioned above, salt, and a cup of water.

3.Cook tightly covered in low heat for an hour. stir it once in every 15 minutes.
Then put off fire after the oil starts showing and the meat is done.

4. Garnish with chopped cilantro and mint leaf.
Bachelor's chicken thokku is ready!

Serving suggestion:

Serve as side dish with plain white rice or any Indian bread.

31 comments:

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow...it looks so yummy Viki, I am drooling :) Enna pa, were you out of town? Please check your mails dear :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow simply finger licking...looks yum.....

Parita said...

Oh my looks all tasty and delicious..m sure its a treat for all chicken lovers :)

Padma said...

Looks so yummy and nice click :)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

I can hear my tummy growling for the curry dear...

ARUNA said...

wow this is a great dish!!!

Indian Khana said...

Looks so yum...wow...so tempting

Priyameena said...

What a easy recepie!!Good to know that you got rest from the kitchen for one day...Hats off to you and to your hubby!!

Finla said...

Hi hi freaking out when hubby wanted to cook for you.
If it was me i would tell hime be my guest :-)
Super yummy delicous chicken.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Yummy and a thick gravy I love the way its been made!!! Lucky you he took charge of the kitchen :)

Nandinis food said...

Looks so tempting and tasty chicken thokku!

kittymatti said...

very nice experience...bachelor cooking..enjoyed reading it.. looks great!!

sangeeta said...

i should try my hubby cooking this one..lol...looks yum....did you get my entries...no response from you dear.

Vrinda said...

Looks yummy and very easy chicken dish...

Manju said...

aahh..i can use as many easy chicken recipes as i can :)

Cham said...

LOL about Hubby cooking! Good one :)

Varsha Vipins said...

This is simple n yummy one Viki..am craving for some right now..:)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Lovely recipe. You should give your hubby more chances in the kitchen. This looks perfect!

sangeeta said...

i have sent the entries again....please confirm.

Kayal said...

Chicken thokku looks so yummy. I am drooling over it. Thanks for sharing such a easy recipe.

Unknown said...

That was so sweet of ur hubby to coom for u. Looks yummy!

Suparna said...

Hi Viki,
LOL...it really helps when we let go sometimes;) the chicken thokku looks awesome, I would finish up a whole loaf with this plate :)yummm

lissie said...

Vicky, a great entry for the event! the recipe sounds really good...

Poornima Nair said...

Simple and flavorful dish...looks delicious.

Malar Gandhi said...

That sounds so sweet, who could ever resist this finger-licking chicken recipe, right!!!

Pooja said...

Haha I can identify myself with your situation Vicky! I too freaked out when my hubby offered to make a dish for the first time and it was the same story afterwards :)
Lovely chicken curry! Surely a bachelor's feast!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Love the name-so unique ;)

Lena Jayadev said...

:) :) :) hubby's cooking... :)
This looks amazing..Chicken is my favorite.. :)
Vikiii... Snap is really nice.. :)

Subhie Arun said...

hi..there r something waiting u ad my blog..pls do accept..thx

Vicky Xavier said...

Thank you friends.
Sangeetha: I got your mail. Great entry for the event. Thanks a lot dear.

Unknown said...

thank you for such wonderful recipes..il surely try them out...Please check out the blog mentioned below its really cool....!!!im sure you'll love it!!!

www.stay-sharp.in

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...