Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tuti fruity and an award

Hope many of you are familiar with those Christmas cakes studded with the tiny bits of fruit like sweet. They are globally called as Tuti fruity / Tooti frooti .Actually these tiny pieces of heaven are not real fruits. They are made from the raw papaya colored and soaked in sugar.
We can buy them easily in any grocery shop. But the fact is if we are doing it at home, we can be sure of using some natural / organic colors and sugar-free stuff. Isn't it:)
The entire process will not take more than 30 minutes and we will be all set for a baking spree:)

In the mean time, I am so much thrilled when my friend Chakh..le..re passed me this cute award. Thank you so much dear. I feel honored.
I am passing on this cute award to any one who leave a comment here:)
Enjoy!



Tooti fruity:




Step 1:
Raw papaya - 1 (chopped 3 cups)
Water - 2 cup

Peel and wash the raw papaya.
Chop it into small pieces.
Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add the papaya pieces.
Cover and cook till the papaya gets 80 percent cooked.
(Don't cook it completely).
Drain excess water and keep the pieces aside.

Step 2:
Bring 1/2 cup of fresh water to boil.
Add 1 cup of sugar along with some sugar free sugar according to taste.
(We can add original sugar completely also.)
Add 5 drops of any organic food color .
Put the cooked papaya pieces and cook till the sugar starts crystallizing.

Tooti frooti is ready !

Let them cool and store in zip lock covers in refrigerator.

Notes:
The general colors are yellow , red and green.
Tooti fruity are used in making cakes , breads and ice creams.
We can make individual colors in separate vessels also.
Beet root juice , carrot juice can make natural colors.

36 comments:

Khaugiri said...

Wow that's so wonderful...... very new to me.... thanks a lot.....

Yasmeen said...

I love the tuti fruity Christmas cake,never knew the fruit bits were actually made with papayas :D

Nithya Praveen said...

Yeah no one can make out that its made of papaya...unless told.nice one

Varsha Vipins said...

I always used to wonder what the stuff is..lol..papaya..thats a surprise..thanks for sharing Viki..:)

Sanghi said...

Hey viki, tuti fruity made home made.. great idea!

lissie said...

I knew that they are made with papaya...but never knew the recipe. Thank you dear, for the recipe!
Congrats for winning the Award!

Anu said...

Hi viki,
Wow awesome recipe.. Nice one...

Parita said...

Thats so very helpful, i never knew we could prepare tutti frutti at home! thanks for sharing dear:)

Raks said...

I have seen the ingredients in the cover,they would hav mentioned papaya,but never thought of try ing at home,I just love tuti fruity:)

Hari Chandana P said...

OMG!!.... really wonderful.. congrats on your award!!

Lena Jayadev said...

i love tuti fruity...i love to add it to cakes..this is a useful recipe... :)

Doloncookbook said...

Wow .. that'e so wonderful . I alaways add tuti fruti in cakes but don't know its made by papaya . Thanks viki ...
& congrats for the award ...

Faiza Ali said...

Wow!! I never knew that we could make it at home nor did i know it was made from papaya :D thanks for sharing dear.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow you made tuti fruiti at home..great job Viki :) This is my favorite, I used to add this even in kesari...I never knew that they were made from papaya...thanks dear!

Unknown said...

till now..I have never bothered to learn what this tutty fruity is actually made of...thanks for the info..

Padma said...

Congrats on your award Viki and these tuti fruity look so wonderful, never knew were made from papayas :)

gtyuk said...

congratulations for the award dear!

I've had christmas cakes for all these years but never knew that these were papaya actually; thought dry cherries or something... that's something new I've learnt today :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Papaya ? Really ? Thats amazing to know...

Vrinda said...

Congrats on ur award..yummy tuti fruity,great for fruit cakes...

Sarah Naveen said...

Wow!!! Excellent recipe....
I always used to wonder what it was...as a child i didnt like cakes and ice creams..i remember eating only this from cakes and ice creams...

Sarah Naveen said...

Congrats on the award!!!!
Your blog is indeed a lovely one!!!!

Kalaivani said...

I thought it needs some special preparation.Easy recipe.will try this next time.

Unknown said...

Wow!!Home made tutty fruity!!Yummy..Bookmarked u'r recipe..
Congrats on u'r award viki

Ann said...

OMG! tuti fruti sounds cool and I so wanted to try this recipe.

Pooja said...

Wow I have never made these before rather than buying it blindly from the store! Perfect!

ARUNA said...

excellent recipe viki!!!!

Mangala Bhat said...

Wow! i love tuty fruity ...I have never know that made of raw papaya ..lovely !

Preety said...

hey that's something new and sounds like fun too

chakhlere said...

Hey Viki dear!!
This a amazing new recipe! Me too never knew that Tuti fruity can be made at home . Thats tamazaing!
Thanks for sharing.

You deserve the Award, Your blog is really very nice!!

Chitra said...

very new to me...looks superb!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks I tried this it came out really good.

Myvegfare said...

never knew tutti fruity were made with papaya are you sure, definitely will give this a try, I have been looking around here for tutti fruities couldnt get them anywhere, thanks for sharing the recipe, will try this out and write to u about it

Linda Austin Hart said...

wonderful! thanks! I lovefruitcake and make it all year round, not just Christmas.
I am going to try this with pineapple tidbits also.

FoodLovers said...

wow nice one viki

Unknown said...

i knew they are made with papaya but couldnt find the recipe in google search ...got here from parita's world ...its so easy... thanks a lot for this....

malpani said...

This is so awesome. I have always been wanting to get hold of the recipe. Finally I have it. I am gonna give it a try this weekend. Staying abroad I do not have access to tutti-frutti! And home made is always the better choice

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...