Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Capsicum Panini in Indian flavor

Panini or Panino is a kind of sandwich originated in Italy. I had no idea of this dish till I tasted one made by my neighbor aunty. She can merge any cuisine with our Indian spices and lots of butter and it will satisfy all my taste buds:) Gujarati foods have become my next favorite after Tamil foods because of her:) Then I saw one recipe by Giada in Foodnetwork Tv and saw how she made those thin sandwiches out of the thick baguette or heavy breads. After that also I didn't buy a panini maker, as I was much hesitant to ask for one more kitchen gadget while my existing collections is already voluminous :) Then the thanksgiving came and every other store we went was having a sale on this panini press and I silently waited without asking hubby for this. I watched all my friends filling their carts with these panini makers and came home with the electronics he wanted for  a long time (along with my other stuffs). But I was chanting 'panini maker' 'panini maker' silently and didn't want to say it loud:)  Hubby could have watched me looking at other's carts or my rantings  (about aunty's :) )could have made him...I don't know. But he bought me this panini maker with all those Kohls cashback offers we had got after the sale and presented as Christmas gift:) With my wish coming true, I am making panini quite often, exploring all the recipes with this. So you can expect more and more paninis from me , while you are trying this yummy capsicum panini in Indian flavor.
Panini in Indian flavor.




My Bella panini maker....wow!
Ingredients:
Whole wheat bread - 6 slices
green capsicum - 1/4
red capsicum - 1/4
onion - 1/4 cup
shredded cheese - 1 tsp for every sandwich
butter - 1 tbsp
Indian green chutney - 1/4 cup
tomato sauce - 1 tsp each sandwich

Method:
Heat the panini maker to maximum heat with the lid closed. After we see the ready button glowing, open the grill. (Read and follow the instructions carefully if it is the first time).
In the mean time place three bread slices on a plate and spread 1 tbsp green chutney and 1 tsp tomato sauce over the breads.
Put the chopped capsicum, onion and cheese over that. Place the other half of bread slice over the sandwiches.
Rub a piece of butter on panini press (bottom plate) in a small area and  place the prepared sandwich.(one at a time).
Place the lid gently (no locking) and the by the weight of the top plate the sandwich will get thin, crunchy and extremely good in one minute.
If needed apply some more butter on top and press again gently.
Take out using a spatula, slice and serve while it is hot.
 Simple panini is ready!

Serving suggestion:
Serve as breakfast or dinner as main course meal.

Chow chow Paruppu koottu and peel thogayal

Chow chow / Bangalore Kathirikai / Chayote  A dal curry paruppu koottu with chow chow and a spicy chutney using it's peel (chow chow tho...