Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Egg kuruma Udaithu ooriya muttai kulambu

உடைத்து ஊற்றிய முட்டைக்குழம்பு  Udaithu ooriya muttai kulambu. My amma used to prepare egg curry almost always like this. I used to love this hot curry over rice very much, as amma would make it piping hot for lunch. 
This recipe can be cooked very easily and quickly. So I prepare this for lunch on many Sundays. This curry comes handy,  when we reach home from church.  I start cooking the rice and this curry alongside. I make this curry within 15-30 mins. If we have some leftover veggies from previous day we would cherish this as a quick lunch. Or, I will make a raitha or some simple stirfry too. 
I always try my best to cook all meals at home, as it is healthy, but most of all this is far more 'less expensive' than going out to a restaurant for lunch. So after we started living in USA (since 2007), I almost reserve those restaurant foods for special occasions only. Not only myself, most of my neighbors too cook their foods. But my hubby always asks me, if I need to buy any lunch from nearby restaurant after church. But my answer is always ,'no , I will make a simple meal in 15 mins'.   Thanks be to God and amma, I learned some cooking even when I was in my teens.
Learning such simple and quick recipes definitely comes handy !




Ingredients:
Egg - 3
Onion - 1
Tomato - 2
Curry leaf - a sprig
Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
Fennel  - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Red chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Coconut milk powder - 3 tbsp
Water - 4 cups

Method:
Slice the onion into small pieces. Chop the tomato finely keep aside.

Heat a tsp oil in a wok.

Add 1 tsp fennel.
When it gets red,add chopped onion.
Fry it till golden.
Then add the ginger garlic paste.
Mix well and add tomato.
Fry till tomato mashes.
Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder,coriander powder, garam masala powder and saute till raw smell vanishes (1 min).

Mix 1 cup lukewarm water with 3 tbsp coconut milk powder. 
Add this to wok. Add 2 more cups of water. Bring it to boil.
If needed add 1 more cup of water.

When the curry is boiling, crack open the eggs one by one and pour them with some space between. 

The eggs should not touch one another. Do not stir after this stage , till eggs are cooked.

Now close the vessel and reduce flame to minimum.

Let it remain there for 5 minutes. Switch off after the egg gets completely cooked.

Muttai kuzhambu is ready!

Serving suggestions:

Serve with rice / roti / idli / dosai.

Note:
we can add hard boiled eggs or omelet also instead of poaching.




No comments: