Monday, January 26, 2009

Pesarattu (Green gram dosai)

Pesarattu is a special breakfast cum dinner served in Andhra restaurants.
Being born and brought up in a southern most part of India , I have never heard of Pesarattu till I moved to Madras.
One fine morning I tasted the Pesarattu made by my Sakuntala Athai (Aunt) and became a fan of Pesarattu.
Most of her recipes were new to me .Then only I understood that the Madras families surely will have a touch of the Andhra cuisines and that's really delectable.


Ingredients:

Green gram - 1 1/2 cup
Rice - 1 tbsp
onion - chopped 1 cup
green chilly - 3
ginger - 1 inch
cumin seed - 1/2 tsp
curry leaf - 1 brig
sesame oil - 1 tsp per pesarattu.

Method:

Soak green gram with 1 tbsp rice overnight (or 8 hours).
Grind green chilly, ginger, with the soaked dhal and rice to a paste like dosa batter.
Add salt, chopped onion , curry leaf and cumin seeds .
Heat a dosa girdle . Pour a ladle of batter and flatten it to a thin crepe dosa.
Sprinkle little sesame oil over the pesarattu.
Flip over and let it cook both sides.
Pesarattu is ready.

Serving suggestions:
In some Andhra restaurants , they place a spoon of rava uppuma inside the Pesarattu and fold it like masala dosai.
The suitable side dishes can be red capsicum chutney or green chilly chutney or tomato chutney or vada curry .
Makes 20 Pesarattu.

If minimal oil is used then this is good for a less calorie diet .


16 comments:

sriharivatsan said...

Viki, Pesarattu looks yummy..Super po...

Chitra said...

i've tried pesarattu once using powdered moong dal.This looks different.Will sure give this a try!!Nice post!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Love pesarattu with Upma...yum. Milagai chutney or thakkali thokku will be a yummy combo for sure...Green gram is also very healthy when compared to rice batter!

Varsha Vipins said...

So nutritious it'll be..yummy..:)

Yasmeen said...

pesarattu is my favorite kind of desi pancake:)

Raks said...

Recently I started making this,just love it!

Vijitha said...

Wow yummy pesarattu
Look at my version too!

http://spicesnaroma.blogspot.com/2008/09/lets-go-green-green-dosa-pesarattu.html
Trail back girl I have somethin for you in my blog!

Vijitha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vijitha said...

http://spicesnaroma.blogspot.com/2008/09/
lets-go-green-green-dosa-
pesarattu.html

Raaga said...

I love pesarattu :-)

Adlak's tiny world said...

its my long time wish to make pessart dosa.. my mom make when we were young... Romba nallachu saptu. will try it.. looks gr8 and yumm.

Jaishree Iyer said...

Pesarattu looks yummy..as hema said its my long time wish to make pessart dosa.will try..

Gita Jaishankar said...

Nice color Viki, they look so yummy.. looks like I missed out some recipes from your blog... I need to check my settings.

Swapna said...

Very nutritious & health dish. We love it... Looks delicious

Usha said...

Pessarattu is one of my faves...looks delicious :-)

Shama Nagarajan said...

looks awesome..lovely one

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...