Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Milagu kulambu

(Milagu kulambu means a gravy made with pepper).

I am sure my regular readers may know my taste for simple recipes. Here is another simple kulambu (curry) without garlic , onion and tomato. So we need not worry much of chopping stuff.
Mostly I prepare this during winter or rainy season. Its good for digestion, cough, cold , sinus problems etc.
Even though I prepare this regularly at home, I referred to this blog for a more clear version.
Here goes a simple recipe for a quick dinner



Ingredients
Tamarind - gooseberry size
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Sesame oil
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - 1 sprig

To dry roast and grind:

Whole black Pepper - 1 1/2 tbsp
Channa dhal (kadalai paruppu) - 1 1/2 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Red chillies - 4
cumin - 1 tsp

Method:

Dry roast the items given till the channa dhal turns mild red.
First powder them without water. Then add hing and 1/4 cup water and grind to a fine paste.

Extract juice from tamarind using 2 cups of hot water. Keep aside.

Heat oil in a wok and splutter the mustard seeds.Put curry leaves.
Pour the tamarind juice along with 1 tsp salt , turmeric and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and let the raw smell vanishes. Let it get reduced to 1 1/2 cups.

Now add the ground masala paste and allow it to boil for 2 minutes.

Garnish with fresh curry leaves.

Serving suggestions:

Serve hot with piping hot rice , ghee and pappad.
I prepare pumpkin poriyal , omelet or usili.

Note:
If we are packing this for lunch box, then add 1 tbsp sesame oil to the curry at the end and mix with rice. This will prevent the rice from dryness.
The consistency should be like denser vathak kulambu.
This curry will show a mild bitter taste , but would be of great taste if served with hot rice and ghee.

36 comments:

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Viki!!Milagu kulambu looks very delicious..

Trendsetters said...

very spicy looking..my favourite

FH said...

Sounds good and looks fab. I can drink it just like broth. YUM! I just make it with Cumin and pepper pd, your version sounds good.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

I remember my mom making this....she adds roasted jeera while grinding.I love this

Priya Suresh said...

I do this milagu kuzhambu atleast once a week during winter, my fav..

Padma said...

Looks nice tangy and spicy. Perfect to have in this cold weather.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Viki,
Just what we all need to beat the winter blue. I can visualize this kuzhambhu with hot steaming rice and papadam.

Rachana said...

Wow!!! A spicy delicious Curry!

Siddhi Shirsat said...

Hey viki very nice and flavourful gravy...hey i hv just shared couple of awards with u, pick them up at your convenience....

Vrinda said...

Nice kulambu with simple ingredients..

Gita Jaishankar said...

Hey remember I asked you for this recipe sometime back...thanks for posting it da...I will definitey try this this week itself...looks tasty :)

Unknown said...

good one...indeed very good when you have a bad throat..i add a lot od chopped ginger too..

Sarah Naveen said...

My fav!!! looks super delicious..Love to have it now with steaming hot rice..

Ms.Chitchat said...

Wow, that sure is a beautiful version of milagu kuzhambu. Thnx for the recipe.

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Sushma Mallya said...

Very flavourful gravy...and spicy too..

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

delicious and spicy

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice kulambu dear...spicy spicy

Soma Pradhan said...

Indeed simple and yet sounds yummy

Finla said...

Yumm yumm i can imagine the spicy delicous state, eating this . Drol drool.

Devasena Hariharan said...

healthy one Viki! Easy to make too.

Devasena Hariharan said...

nice one Viki. Looks healthy too!

Sara's Corner said...

Kulambu looks lovely which is my fav dish post pregnancy.

Preety said...

looks so delicious

Parita said...

I love pepper rasam, so i m sure this curry too would be fantastic!

Lavanya Siva said...

One of my fav........

Trixie said...

this is delicious! I love your recipes. I can follow them easily. thankyou!

Malar Gandhi said...

Like milagu kuzhambu with plain rice, tastee.

Anonymous said...

delicious.

Tina said...

So spicy and creamy...Perfect with curd and hot rice...

Nandinis food said...

Wow, man! This is my classic favorites! I just drink this up without any main course! Yummy!

suvaiyaana suvai said...

Its good for cold! looks nice

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Its a tangy tasty kulambu Viki, sometimes when one is lazy this is just perfect to make a quick do!!!

fimere said...

une belle assiette pleins de saveurs ça semble délicieux
bonne soirée

Sashi said...

Mouthwatering when i look at the pic. Lovely authentic recipe Viki.

Perspectivemedley said...

Wow.. nice Kulambu!!.. absolutely tempting!!..

Sapthanaa Vytheswaran said...

iam gonna try this recipe in a couple of days.. thanks for this recipe

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...