Monday, April 30, 2012

Icing.

Usually I buy a pack of icing for most of my cakes. But from this moment I have decided to make my own. So for this Easter I made cream cheese frosting and butter cream icing. I wanted a low calorie cream cheese frosting for my cupcakes and an 'icing tool friendly' butter cream icing. While doing this only I realized how easy and healthy it is to make icings at home. The following recipes may not be for a professional but works out the best for me.
 Easter cake with basket-weave icing and fondant flowers.
Butter cream icing:
In mass production they would add vegetable shortening to buttercream icing, to get smooth flowing cream for cake professionals. But I didn't add shortening, as I wanted to share it with some adorable kids too. The finish was very good and it tasted extremely good, except for the fact that this buttercream icing will dry-out in few days. So it is better to finish the cake within 3 days after icing. Other than that I didn't face any challenges in doing the basket-weave icing. It was as flowy as the store-bought. Also we can keep the excess icing in air-tight container for a month in fridge. Before icing keep in room temperature till it is smooth ,add a tbsp milk if it is dry.
Primary crumb coating before real icing.
After this crumb coating allow it to dry for 1 hour. Then do a more polished outer cover icing. After that start with the favorite design. I made a basket weave pattern.
Click to see tutorial. Basketweave tip # 48 is used here.
For rope icing, Star tip 18 is used.  Click to see tutorial.
Cutting the cake on Easter eve, after attending the mass.
Ingredients:
Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick)
confectioner's sugar - 4 cup
(for rose and decorations use 3 cups of powders sugar)
milk - 1 tbsp
vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
salt - a pinch
food color - if needed

Bring butter to room temperature by leaving it in counter top. First beat the butter to fluffy. (I did manually using a fork, but a mixer is good for this). SIFT the sugar and add to butter. Again mix well with other ingredients to fluffy. Butter cream icing is ready!
Cream cheese frosting:
For the cupcakes I prepared cream cheese frosting. I wanted it to be on the tart side. so halved the prescribed sugar level and still it tasted yummy. 1:1 sugar with zero calorie sweetener is also possible, I hope. We can refrigerate this icing for nearly 2 weeks, keep out for 1 hour to get the texture and pipe-out before serving.
Prepared this icing few days earlier and kept refrigerated.
Carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients:
Cream cheese - 8 oz (1 pack)
unsalted butter - 8 tbsp (1 stick)
confectioner's sugar - 4 cup
vanilla extract - 1 tsp

Bring cheese and butter to room temperature by leaving them in counter top not any means (this is important). Mash together the cheese and butter. Sift the sugar and add it along with vanilla essence. Mix well. Enough to frost 2 to 3 dozen cupcakes (1 tbsp icing per cake). Makes one tub (US) frosting.
Fondant flowers:

I bought Wilton's readymade rolled fondant. Then got some videos in Youtube to learn fondant rose and calla lily.
The white daisy flowers are my own creation:)
Next time I should try some homemade fondant.
Click to see for video on rose flower making by icing / frosting.

12 comments:

R said...

looks amazing, you r so talented!

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely post I make similar icing and flowers look wonderful

Unknown said...

very nice cake and flowers...worth the effort!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I agree with R above, you are so talented! Amazing icing and fondant work...

Hari Chandana P said...

Wonderful post.. thanks for sharing !!
Indian Cuisine

Divya A said...

Looks very lovely Viki you are awesome!!

Flowers looks so perfect and if you don't mind can I grab a piece??

புவனேஸ்வரி ராமநாதன் said...

பார்க்கவே உண்ணத் தூண்டும் வகையில் ஒரு ரெசிபி சொல்லி உள்ளீர்கள். வாழ்த்துக்களுடன் நன்றிகள் விக்கி.

Priya Suresh said...

Omg,thanks for sharing this lovely tips and icing..

Poornima Nair said...

Cake decoration is so much fun! Lovely post and the flowers look awesome!

Spice up the Curry said...

wow nice basket decoration. I am still working on decoration.

Anonymous said...

I always use butter cream icing and sometimes struggle for piping them. I am going to try your icing recipes next time I make cup cake. Thank you for the detailes recipe Viki

Radhika said...

Wonderful compilation. Nice fondant flowers and good effort.
Tickling Palates

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...