Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Strawberry jam

Recently I started making our own jams / preserves, as DIY projects impresses me a lot. This recipe can yield a 3/4 of a jar of this jam. (If using 3 tbsp pectin and more sugar, we will get 2 jars of jam, but I made a small batch). Store bought pectin can be replaced by 1 apple. After tasting the chunks of  fruits in this jam, I realized the importance of making them at home:)  The Strawberry jam is a quick one and I enjoyed preparing this very much. Hope my readers love this version too!

Ingredients:
Strawberry - 15 number
sugar - 1 1/2 cup
water - 1/4 cup
pectin - 1 tbsp (or) apple - 1

Method: 
Remove the stem and leaves from the fruits. Wash well and slice them into small pieces. (If not using pectin, then peel, core, shred an apple and add it the sliced strawberry). Cook the strawberry and apple in 1/4 cup water. After 5 minutes, add the sugar and cook till a candy thermometer reads 220 F. (If apple is not added, then add the pectin and check the temperature). (or) Take cold water in a bowl, put a drop of jam and see if it stays without dissolving. That is the stage we need. Switch off. Let cool completely and store in fridge or do the canning. Stays good in fridge up to 2 months, if handled with care.
(Time taken - 20 minutes).

Serving suggestions:
Serve with bread toast, cake / ice cream topping.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ive to start makibg my own jams and spread.looks yumm

My World My Home said...

Great da....I'm also planning to make jam....will refer ur recipe ;)


Helen
http://myworldmyhome2012.blogspot.in

VineelaSiva said...

Homemade is always yummy.I never tried adding apple in the strawberry jam.Will try now.

Prema said...

Delicious recipe,loved this yummy version...

Suja Manoj said...

Love home made jam,looks so yummy

Priya Suresh said...

Homemade preserves rocks, its not strawberry season rite now for us,will make some soon.

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...