Saturday, February 16, 2013

Chinthamani chicken

While watching a comedy clip in a Tamil movie, I noticed this name sinthamani in a menu card behind the scene and immediately googled to know the details. I got this interesting recipe from Amrita and thanks to her I got a best chicken recipe with a beautiful name:)  This chicken recipe needs only a few ingredients and its a winner in our house always:)

Preparing spiciest foods is the specialty of South Indians. One among the most spiciest dishes is this chintamani chicken, which is made with very spicy dry red chillies. The chillies impart a dark red color to the oil while frying and makes the dish extremely flavorful. Generally this dish should be made with mutton (and we call it as varuval in our house), but I substituted with chicken thighs and it tasted equally delicious.


Ingredients:
Chicken (red meat) - 1 lb
red onion - 2 (medium size)
(or) shallot - 15 numbers
sesame oil / any cooking oil - 1/4 cup
fennel - 1 tsp
curry leaves - 2 sprig
dry red chillies - 15
salt - as per need
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp

Method:
Clean the chicken and cut it into small cubes.
Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside.
In the meantime chop the onions roughly into medium size cubes.
Cut the dry red chillies into small bits.
Heat oil in a thick bottom wok (iron wok).
Add fennel and let it get red.
Then add the onion and fry till it turns golden brown.
Then add chopped dry red chillies, curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
Put the marinated chicken and stir well.
Cook covered without any water in low heat for nearly 30 minutes or till the chicken is cooked and gets a beautiful red color.
Switch off.
Chinthamani chicken is ready!

Serving suggestion:
Serve as side dish with rice (with ghee and curd).
I made it with parotta and salna.
This is a very spicy chicken fry, so pair it with curd always.

21 comments:

Vidya Chandrahas said...

Such a delicious and tempting chicken.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and mouthwatering Chintamani chicken.
Deepa

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

spicy chicken! Have to eat it with yogurt as you suggested! Yum!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

so true na that theres nothing in a name. would hardly have guessed a recipe like this with a name Chinthamani... looks real yum. so easy but party pleasure indeed.

divya said...

looks yummy and very very delectable...

My World My Home said...

Nice name... Yummy chicken... :-)

Sumi said...

interesting chicken recipe

Sumi said...

interesting chicken recipe

Priya Suresh said...

Name itself tempts me a lot, hot and super tempting chicken.

Manjusfoodbites said...

Chinthamani chicken looks yummy,first time here happy to follow you.

Chitra said...

Nice name.. looks good :)

Rafeeda AR said...

hi viki thanks for coming by my page and trying to follow... maybe u can try tomorrow, hopefully it should work, i dunno what's the problem... :( BTW, simple yet delicious looking chicken recipe... :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks Friends.
Rafeeda, Manju: Thanks for following. Now I can click the join button. Happy to say that I am ur follower too:)

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

very innovative recipe dear..

My Food Express said...

Yummy and spicy chicken recipe..its very cold here and I am craving to eat one of this...:-)

Daisy said...

Hi Viki, I regularly follow your post and cook most. I have a question, here they advice not to wash raw chicken. I am simply unable to cook chicken without washing, even after reading all the ill's of washing raw chicken. what do you do?
Regards, Daisy.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Hi Daisy, Thanks for this curious info. I am truly unaware of this till I read your comment.Then I googled it and it is all over the internet. Wow. Thanks dear. It is interesting.

But I will be rinsing the meat anyways always in future too.

Basically I follow Indian cuisine most of the days. So I stick to what our families used to practice in India. Here is how I rinse / wash my poultry, meat, fish. As soon as I start preparing the meat, I remove the skin and fat. Then I apply turmeric powder (almost 2 tsp for a kg) allover it. I let it soak in that aromatic turmeric for 2-3 minutes while I prepare my cutting board (always wood, as plastics retain the bacteria and they multiply in it). There should be separate cutting boards for veg and non veg to prevent contamination (this is important). Then I cut the meat and then only I start rinsing it. I rinse it thrice. After the third rinse, I drain all the water and keep in a new bowl out of the sink or washing area. Then I add some more turmeric powder. After that I add all the marinating stuff. I think it is safer because Indians have a long tradition of cooking with hygiene.

Along with this here are some more tips on basic cleaning procedure:
1. Never place the meat inside sink directly while rinsing the meat. Always use a large bowl to keep it.
2. If we are marinating and keeping in fridge overnight (for tandoori or chicken 65) then always apply some vinegar or lemon juice to keep the meat safe.
3. Wash the hands with soap always before touching anything after touching the meat.
4. If possible take bath after cleaning and cooking meat :) or wear an apron, if bathing is not an option.
5. Clean the sink, knife, cutting board with dish washing soap. Then wash the sink with some bleaching powder / disinfectant always( must).

Hope it helps. This is how I will be cooking dear. The curcumin in Turmeric is the best antiseptic, disinfectant , I guess :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks Daisy dear. I am eager to post this in my facebook too, so that many will pour their thoughts. Have a nice day dear.

Vikis Kitchen said...

https://www.facebook.com/VikisKitchen/posts/580036298805687?notif_t=like

Daisy said...

Ohh Viki, your message went to junk and i was check them before deleting. Fortunately, i found yours. I am amazed at the level of clarity you provide in explaining everything. I will change to a wooden cutting board right away. Actually, my mother too uses mara kattai for chopping. Thank you for all.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks Daisy :)Yes, wooden chopping boards like the ones our mom's used are the best :)

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...