Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thengai thuvaiyal

A thick coconut chutney without tempering. Every Indian house may have one version for this coconut chutney. This one is my mom's version and I do exactly like her.  I serve with idly, dosai as an alternative for my usual coconut chutney. Though a rare combo, I like it with chapati also.

Ingredients:
Fresh shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
Puffed channa dhal (pori kadalai / pottu kadalai)- 2 tbsp.
green chillies - 4.
garlic - 1 clove
cumin - 1/4 tsp
curry leaf - 1 sprig
tamarind - 1 inch bit.
sea salt- 1/2 tsp.


Method:
Put all the items given for grind in a small jar of the mixer. Grind without adding water. Then after a few pulses,  add few tsp water and grind the chutney in to a thick paste.
That's it. Flavorful coconut chutney is ready.

Serving suggestions:
This chutney tastes fresh. So make it in small batches.
It can be served as a side dish  for Dosa, Idly, kichidi, chapati etc.
A dollop of sesame oil over this chutney will make a perfect combo for idly.
Tastes very good with rasam rice and curd rice.
Instead of pori kadalai, we can use roasted groundnut too.

4 comments:

My World My Home said...

Hmm...spicy thogaiyal..I love it.

divya said...

looks delicious n yummy

Suja Manoj said...

Spicy and delicious..love it

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

spicy and yummy and no tempering... love it!

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...