Friday, September 26, 2008

Murungakkai Puli kulambu



I think this is a kind of 'kara-kulambu' or spicy curry prepared in Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu, India.
I learnt this recipe from my mom .we had a very large drumstick tree in our backyard and my mom used to present cartloads of drumsticks to whoever asked her.Moreover she used to make delicious curries with the drumstick and its leaves.During those days we mock at our mom for making Murungakkai curry frequently.But after coming to USA, I realize the true value of those veggies on seeing their prices in Indian stores.

Ingredients:

Drumstick - 1
Small eggplant - 1
Tamarind extract - 2 tsp
shredded coconut - 1 tbsp
red onion - 1/2
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
mustard - 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - 1 brig
oil - 1 tbsp
asafoetida - 1 pinch
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
coriander powder - 2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1 pinch
water - 2 cups
salt - 2 tsp

Method:

Cut drumstick into 2 inch pieces and slit each piece into two.
Cut the eggplant into small pieces.
Grind coconut, onion and cumin seeds with little water.
Heat oil in a pan.
Crackle mustard seeds , add fenugreek seeds , curry leaves and asafoetida.
Add the cut vegetables, tamarind paste , 2 cups water , chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and close tightly with a lid.
After the vegetables are cooked add the coconut - onion paste and switch off after it starts boiling.

Serving suggestions:

Makes 500 ml of Puli kulambu.
It can be served for 5 people.
Serve hot with steamed rice and and any vegetable side dish or with egg omlete.

9 comments:

Molly said...

I'm blown away!
I have visited NUMEROUS indian kitchen blogs, as a food enthusiast myself, but your's is the first that comes closest to the terms I'm used to! Rather nostalgic!

Kalli's (hated then; wishing for it now), sodhi, Uzhundhangangi, and hereit is drumstick puli kuzhambu!! Just as you described, we had truckloads of them at times now I miss them sorely.. Even if you find them at Indian grocery stores, they look limp and sorry. Though I use the frozen ones for flavor, it doens't even come close to the real thing!

By the way, I'm generally a 'silent observer'.. but I decided to drop you a note as I bumped into your website during a search for "thoothukudi".. well, as that's my birthplace.. now settled CT, USA.

Though at times I feel like I'm so far away from what normal life seems to be, it's comforting to know there are similar folk from similar walks of life, lurking around this vast North American Continent!
Unbelievable stuff you got in here!

Molly said...

Also meant to add, your favorite songs under your profile are mine as well! So, I'm assuming you're a christian.. just curious if you'r from Tuticorin as well.. if so, my mind wanders: which school, which church, etc..

Anyways, good work!

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks Molly for those lovely comments.
I too feel elated on seeing someone in my wavelength , browsing over my stuff. Great to get people from my place .right! Actually my dad belongs to a coastal village in Tuticorin area. So u can see a lot of recipe from our place. Mom belongs to Tuticorin city itself.
Our way of cooking is just different and I wanted to show it to the webworld:)
How can one forget the Gnanam bakery cakes and fresh fish we get from our place. Now dad settled in Tirunelveli. I worked as an apprentice in Tuticorin harbor, enjoyed every bit of Tuticorin. It is really a lovely place with people full of true words and love.
who can forget our unique veggies like athalakkai , butter beans koottu etc..
My heart always longs for that sea shore in my native place.
I am a Catholic christian, studied in Tirunelveli. Now settled in NJ , USA.
keep posting and we have a lot in common to discuss.

Unknown said...

Hi Viki,

I am from Kerala ,now settled in Bangalore .I did my engineering in Tirunelvelli FX engineering college. In hostel ,we used to get this Drumstick puli kozhumbhu.I love this curry ,i was searching for the recipe.Thank you very much for sharing this.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks for those lovely words Riya. I m so happy to know that u did ur Engg. in FX college.
Take care, cheers, viki.

Unknown said...

thanks for the recipe, today i have tried and came out as an eatable item...I am from tirunelveli and miss this from my mother's hand... now able to recreate with some native taste....

Unknown said...

thanks for the recipe, today i have tried and came out as an eatable item...I am from tirunelveli and miss this from my mother's hand... now able to recreate with some native taste....

Unknown said...

thanks for the recipe, today i have tried and came out as an eatable item...I am from tirunelveli and miss this from my mother's hand... now able to recreate with some native taste....

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks Sutha. Your comment made my day:)

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...