Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ridge Gourd Peel chutney

Usually we make curries out of Ridge gourd . But many of us will not be aware of making a chutney with its peels. This is one of the signature dishes of my mom.
It pairs well with rice or chapathi.
I am sure ridge gourd is such a yummy vegetable when cooked with dhal. But have you ever noticed the resulting quantity of the curry? If we miscalculate the end product and buy the same quantity as of any other vegetable, then we will face a challenge in distributing the curry. Oh! yes, the curry will shrink a lot after losing its moisture in cooking. So if we generally buy one lb of any vegetable , then we should double the quantity while buying this ridge gourd.
How come we throw away such a succulent peel like this? So if you are planning to make ridge gourd curry next time, then don't throw away the peels. Just save them for a yummy chutney.
Here is the recipe!

Peerkankai thol chutney:



Ingredients:
Ridge gourd - 1
Dry Red chilli - 4
curry leaf - 1 sprig
tamarind - small gooseberry size
salt - to taste
urid dhal - 1 tsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
garlic - 1 clove



Method:
Wash and clean the ridge gourd.
Peel and save the outer skin , discarding the veins in the ridge.
Chop the skin coarsely.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai.
Add all the above ingredients except salt, garlic and cumin .
saute them till the peels become tender (or) edges turn mild brown.
Then switch off the stove and cool it completely.
Then add salt, garlic ,cumin and grind to a fine paste.
Ridge gourd chutney is ready.

Serving suggestions:

Goes fine with chapathi, dosa or any rice meal.

15 comments:

Nandinis food said...

Viki, your calculation is correct about buying ridge gourd. I always love this chutney and the chutney looks yummy!

Chutneytales said...

I love ridge gourd chutney..i have them with rice..The chutney looks as how my grandma prepares...Yumm..

Malar Gandhi said...

Yeah, truly it is a watery vegetable...it shrinks after cooking. Good that you wrote about it. Its also tasty vegetable...everyone needs their share. The skin has lots of vitamins and fibre...but people waste it most of the time. Peerkankai thol thuvaiyal is one of my fav' one. It has unique taste. Amma's kai-pakuvam is great!:)

Varsha Vipins said...

I was allergic to Ridge gourd since a kid..But I guess if you mix it with tamarind n chilli n all like you did,I would gobble some in..Looks good da..nice texture too..Thanks for the recipe..:)

Cham said...

I ve learnt with my Andra friend this recipe. They re dam good to make any veg into chutneys. Lovely chutney!

Premyscakes said...

Yes Vikki, i too love this chutney, long time didn't try this. Your post reminded me of it.
cheers.

Divz said...

hey thats new to me!! must say quite a different type of chutney!!

Unknown said...

i make chutney with peel too love it..but abit different from yours..looks yummy

Shama Nagarajan said...

chutney looks yummy dear...

Raks said...

I too do the same way,except garlic! Looks yummy!

Purva Desai said...

This is a new chutney for me....will try this soon..

Anonymous said...

Viki,you have a great blog friend..and the chutney looks awesome..Am adding you

sriharivatsan said...

Viki, this is one of my favo thogaiyal..I dont add garlic and jeera..Rest same..Super thogaiyal..Nakku orrarardhu nenaichale..

Yasmeen said...

I love this chutney.Thanks for reminding us Viki ,I lazily throw the skin away very often.

Sia said...

i have a bag of ridge gourd peels tucked in freezer. thanks for the recipe vickie. it's different from what i have been making.

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...